Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Language barriers


                  Dobry Den! For this blog I will be writing about the language issues I have experienced during my study abroad experience.
                  Hello. This is an English word which, in the United States, you hear everyday. When in the Czech Republic, I do not hear it all. This is just one of the things I miss during my time abroad. My inability to speak the local language has forced me to talk with a lot of hand gestures and a lot of hope in my heart. Here are a few things I have learned so far through my struggles. 
                  Tip #1: Talking slower does not help someone magically learn English. This is something that seems like common knowledge, but it turns out a lot of people try to communicate like this. I am as guilty as everyone else. When I am ordering food or asking how to get somewhere, the conversations always start the same. With me asking if they know English. Sometimes I get lucky. Most times people smile and say the one word they do know. ‘No.’ This is when things get exciting. As if I expect them to magically learn English after me asking, I then talk very slow, loud, and still in English trying to learn what or where something is. After pointing and a lot of hand gestures, we can usually get the job done.

This picture is of a group of us trying to order food from an english menu and the waiter finding those dishes on the Czech menu.

                  Tip #2: Learn key phrases before you go to a different country. So far, I have been to Spain, France, Italy, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic. Between these eight countries, seven different languages are spoken (Austria and Germany both speak German). Using the restroom has been by far the hardest thing to do. I have tried to learn how to say bathroom in a few different languages, and, in the moment, I panic and use English every time. Most times it works out fine and they understand, but sometimes I just leave the conversation and search the restaurant in a frenzy to relieve myself. I then get some weird looks from the people that work there. Actually, this tip could probably start in a different way. Tip #2: Learn how to say the word bathroom. Save yourself from the embarrassment.
                  Tip #3: Be patient. I cannot stress this enough. This is something that has to go both ways though. When you are in a different country and someone that knows very little English has stopped to try and help you as best they can, be very thankful that they have taken the time and effort to do so. Also, be patient and let them know that you are grateful whether they helped you or not. It is so hard to try and speak a language that you don’t use every day. So, when someone gives their best effort be thankful. A lot of times people will just leave because they don’t want to waste their time. I know back home in the United States, a lot of people get upset when someone doesn’t know English, but it is pretty amazing what can be accomplished when everyone slows down and takes a second to figure something out. Languages barriers are tough but can be passed with a little effort and a lot of patience. 

This photo represents how I feel most of the time trying to communicate with the locals.
(Picture is actually of me in Stockholm, Sweden. Photo creds to Paige Kristensen)

                  I hope my advice has been helpful as well as shed a little light on my experiences so far. The last advice is to try and speak the common language whenever in a different country. Even if you can only get one word out, it is very polite and impressive that you even tried. Besides, when everything is said and done, you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a big glass of pivo (that’s beer in Czech). Thanks for reading. Na Shledanou!

No comments:

Post a Comment